Not Just Laptops is supported by readers like you. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
Is your ASUS keyboard not working? An unresponsive laptop keyboard can be quite frustrating.
Whether Windows 10 does not detect your keyboard, the entire keyboard is not responding, or only a few keys are not working, you can resolve the issue with a few simple methods. Whichever laptop from ASUS brand you have – ROG, Chromebook, Zenbook, or any other model – the solution is the same.
In this guide, we’ll show you what causes the laptop keyboard issue, 7 easy fixes to the problem, and we’ll even answer a few common questions about ASUS keyboards.
The screenshots below are taken on a Windows 10 laptop. However, you can apply these fixes to Windows 8 & 7 as well.
Table of Contents
- What Causes Problems with ASUS Laptop Keyboard?
- 7 Easy Fixes to ASUS Laptop Keyboard Not Working
- FAQs about ASUS Laptop Keyboard Issues
What Causes Problems with ASUS Laptop Keyboard?
Your ASUS laptop’s keyboard might stop working due to various reasons. Here are the most frequent ones:
- Your keyboard might be damaged
- There might be a bug in the Windows update, or your OS might need an update
- The drivers might be outdated or missing
- Filter key issue
- Your laptop’s date and time might be incorrect
- Software or hardware-related issues
- Multiple keyboards are installed on your laptop
7 Easy Fixes to ASUS Laptop Keyboard Not Working
Before you try the methods below, restart your ASUS laptop as many technical issues can be resolved just by restarting. However, if the problem persists, then give the methods below a go.
1: Check Date and Time Settings
Sometimes, the date and time settings can change themselves. The incorrect date and time can cause problems due to a flood of wrong information and affect your ASUS keyboard functionalities.
So, if your laptop’s date and time are incorrect, follow these simple steps below to fix them.
1. Right-click on the “Date and Time” at the bottom right corner of your taskbar.
2. Choose the “Adjust date/time” option.
3. Select the “Date & Time” option from the new window.
4. You can set the date and time on your laptop manually or automatically.
5. Once the date and time are updated, the keyboard issue should be fixed.
2: Disable “Filter Keys”
Any changes in the keyboard settings made by you or a third-party app can lead to keyboard problems on your ASUS.
In this scenario, follow the steps below and see if those fix the problem.
1. Go to the Windows search bar and type “Control Panel”.
2. Search for “Ease of Access” and click “Ease of Access Center”.
3. Look for “Make the keyboard easier to use” and click.
4. Uncheck the “Turn on Filter Keys” box.
5. First, apply the new settings and then click “OK”.
6. Don’t forget to reboot your computer to save the new changes.
3: Try to Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
The built-in troubleshooting wizard detects any hardware or software-related issues that might cause keyboard problems in your ASUS laptop.
Perform the steps mentioned below to run the troubleshooting wizard.
1. Press the “Windows key + R” buttons simultaneously.
2. The Run dialogue box will appear.
3. Type “Control” in the search bar and press “Enter” to open the “Control Panel” window.
4. Type “troubleshooting” in the search bar and click on the “Troubleshooting” option that appears.
5. Click the “View All” option in the left panel.
6. Run the troubleshooter for the keyboard.
7. In most cases, the troubleshooter wizard can detect and resolve any problems, even if the ASUS laptop keyboard is not working properly.
4: Update The Keyboard Drivers
You can update your ASUS laptop’s keyboard either automatically or manually. Below, we have discussed both methods for your convenience.
1. Press the “Windows Key + R” buttons simultaneously to open the Run dialogue box.
2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the search bar and hit “Enter”.
3. The “Device Manager” window will appear.
4. Search for “Keyboards” tab and expand.
5. Right-click on your keyboard device and choose “Update Driver” from the options.
6. First, go for “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
7. Windows 10 will automatically detect the latest driver and install it on your laptop.
8. Restart your PC to check if the issue is resolved. If not, then go back to “Device Manager” again.
1. Download the driver to your computer from ASUS’s Download Center.
2. Right-click on the standard keyboard and choose “Update Driver”.
3. Go for “Browse my computer for drivers” this time.
4. Click “Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer”.
5. Browse and pick the latest drivers and click “Next”.
6. Reboot your laptop to save the changes.
5: Reinstall the Keyboard Driver
Your keyboard driver might be damaged due to a lack of hard drive space, third-party interference, or other software activities. If the driver update above didn’t help, reinstalling the keyboard driver can resolve this unresponsive keyboard issue.
You can reinstall your keyboard driver by following these steps.
1. Press the “Windows Key + R” buttons simultaneously.
2. The Run dialogue box will appear.
3. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the search bar and hit “Enter”.
4. The “Device Manager” window will appear.
5. Search for “Keyboards” in the left panel and expand it.
6. Right-click on your keyboard device and choose “Uninstall” from the options.
7. Select “Yes/Ok” if a confirmation window appears.
8. You will have to reboot your laptop to save the new changes.
9. Windows 10 will automatically reinstall the drivers on your laptop.
6: Uninstall Multiple Keyboards on Your ASUS Laptop
Sometimes, people use additional keyboards such as USB or wireless keyboards on their laptops. As a result, your laptop’s own keyboard might stop working.
Follow the steps below to solve the problem.
1. Press the “Windows Key + R” buttons simultaneously. This will open the Run dialogue box.
2. Type “devmgmt.msc” in the search bar and hit “Enter” to open the “Device Manager” window.
3. Expand the “Keyboards” from the left menu.
4. Right-click on the keyboard that you want to uninstall.
5. Once the other keyboard is uninstalled from your ASUS laptop, your laptop’s keyboard should work just fine.
7: Update Your Windows OS
You need to keep your Windows OS version up to date; otherwise, it could create problems for your laptop and be a reason it stopped working.
Follow the steps mentioned below to update your OS. Press “Windows Key + I” simultaneously and choose “Update & Security”.
1. Press “Windows Key + I” simultaneously and choose “Update & Security”.
2. Click “Check for Updates”.
3. Make sure that all the pending updates are installed.
4. Reboot your laptop once you have installed the updates and see if you can fix your keyboard.
FAQs about ASUS Laptop Keyboard Issues
Let’s take a look at some of the most frequently asked questions below.
How do I unlock my ASUS laptop keyboard on Windows 10?
You can unlock your ASUS laptop keyboard either by turning off the Filter keys, turning off the NumLock, and updating or reinstalling your keyboard.
Why is my laptop’s keyboard not typing?
Your laptop can stop typing if the keyboard is damaged, Windows OS is not updated, the drivers are missing or outdated, or due to software or hardware-related issues, battery overheating, or being disconnected from the motherboard.
How do I reset my ASUS keyboard?
Resetting your ASUS keyboard is incredibly easy. All you need to do is turn off the Filter key functions, restart your laptop, and turn on the Filter key functions again.
Can you accidentally lock your keyboard?
You can accidentally lock your keyboard by turning on the Filter keys feature. Additionally, if your keyboard is not typing the correct characters, you may have mistakenly turned on NumLock.
Your ASUS laptop’s keyboard can stop working if the laptop cannot detect the keyboard or if some specific keys are damaged. But with these methods, you’ll surely resolve the issue.
We hope the above guide was helpful to you and you were able to fix the problem of your ASUS laptop’s keyboard not working.
However, if you still have any questions regarding this article, leave a comment below. We’ll be happy to assist you in any way we can.