Not Just Laptops is supported by readers like you. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
Even though we use phones and tablets for just about anything, laptops are still the best devices for traveling. However, they can be challenging to use if you don’t have a socket nearby for most of the day.
This leaves your car as the only viable option. But how do you turn your set of wheels into a laptop charger?
That’s exactly what you’re going to find out today. So sit back, relax and enjoy our guide on how to charge your laptop in the car!
Table of Contents
- What You Need to Charge Your Laptop in The Car
- How to Charge Your Laptop in the Car with a Power Inverter
- Recommended Car Power Inverters
- Charge Your Laptop in the Car with a USB-C Car Charger
- Recommended USB-C Car Chargers
- How to Charge Your Laptop in the Car with a Universal Laptop Car Charger
- What are the Best USB-C Cables for Charging Your Laptop in the Car?
What You Need to Charge Your Laptop in The Car
Thankfully, you can charge your laptop in the car in several different ways. You’re not stuck with just one option.
You will be able to recharge the battery if you have one of the following:
Depending on which of these accessories you have, or want to get, you’ll have to go through a few simple steps. Don’t worry, we at Notjustlaptops are here to explain everything with pictures. Let’s take a look.
How to Charge Your Laptop in the Car with a Power Inverter
Power inverters are easy to use. All you need is a cigarette lighter, which most cars made in the last 30 or so years have. Make sure you unplug the inverter once you turn off the engine; otherwise, you’ll drain the battery.
Recommended Car Power Inverters
2. FOVAL 200W
OK, once you have a power inverter, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to charge your laptop in the car:
How to use your laptop in a car – power inverter for your cigarette lighter | Source: BrightonsReviewsandMore
1. Take your power inverter out of the box. Once your power inverter arrives, make sure the device is in a sealed package. If there are any visible dents, marks, or scratches, don’t use the inverter. It could be faulty, which might damage your car or put you in danger.
2. Plug the inverter into the cigarette lighter. Don’t worry if it doesn’t sit perfectly right when you plug it in – it’s supposed to wiggle a little bit. Just be sure not to damage it or plug it in too harshly.
3. Move it around gently to check if it’s plugged in. A couple of times upwards and downwards should do the trick.
4. Plug your laptop charger in, just like you would with a socket. There should be a socket on the side of the inverter facing you. Plug your charger and ensure that it fits all the way in.
5. You can charge via USB cable too. Most power inverters used for charging laptops also have a USB slot, so you can also charge your phone.
It’s essential that you use a reliable power inverter for charging your laptop in the car.
Charge Your Laptop in the Car with a USB-C Car Charger
This is probably one of the easiest ways to charge your laptop if it can be charged through USB-C. Some cars have USB-C connectors. In this case, all you need is a USB-C cable.
What if you don’t know if your laptop can be charged with USB-C?
If you are not sure, look for the battery symbol next to the port on your laptop.
If your car doesn’t have a USB-C port, you have to use a USB-C charger like this that can be plugged into the cigarette lighter. Once it’s secured, you can plug the charger into the laptop, too. First, look at your device’s screen and check if it’s charging. Then, feel free to follow the charging icon for a few minutes to see if it’s receiving power normally.
If you’re reaching one of your compartments down by the shift area, be careful when navigating around your USB-C laptop charger. Tugging or pulling it too harshly can result in damage to your USB-C jack.
What if your laptop is charging slowly? This happens if the cable is faulty or if there’s lint or debris stuck in the jack. Make sure you clean this area of your car before plugging in your USB-C car charger.
Recommended USB-C Car Chargers
How to Charge Your Laptop in the Car with a Universal Laptop Car Charger
If you don’t have a power inverter or a USB-C charger, you can still charge your laptop in the car. A good way to do this is to get a universal laptop charger. But what are these devices?
A universal charger comes with a big set of connector tips and it’s compatible with most laptop brands. Whether you’re using an ASUS, an Acer, or perhaps a Dell or an MSI, you can modify the charger to fit your device. Make sure to buy a reliable model.
Before you make your purchase, just be sure your make, series, and laptop model are compatible with the charger. Then, all you have to do is plug it into the cigarette lighter and let your device charge.
Again, be careful if your car allows for lighter use even if the engine is not turned on. Save your battery and unplug your universal car laptop charger, especially if you’re exiting the vehicle.
What are the Best USB-C Cables for Charging Your Laptop in the Car?
One of the most common reasons your laptop might not be charging in the car is a damaged cable. We don’t recommend saving money on this part of your laptop equipment. A good, sturdy USB-C cable can last for years, especially if you keep it stored safely out of anyone’s reach.
Overall, the market is more saturated than ever, but Notjustlaptop’s experts found that these options are the best. But, of course, make sure you buy the right length, too.
If your kids are going to play around with the laptop and watch cartoons or play games, don’t go under 6-7 feet.
Learning how to charge your laptop in the car is easier than you’ve initially imagined.
There are three options:
The inverter is the most foolproof solution, but you can avoid it if your car has a USB-C jack and your laptop has a USB-C charging capability.
Be sure to pick a long, sturdy cable for your laptop. The charger is bound to come into contact with other things in your car. But just a little bit of care; it’ll last a long time. Good luck!
Do you have any questions we didn’t cover? Feel free to leave your question below in the comment section. We love helping our readers.