Not Just Laptops is supported by readers like you. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
If you have trouble with your Cricut machine not connecting to your computer, this article is for you.
We will go over the steps to troubleshoot your Cricut Machine not connecting to your computer. We will also cover some common problems that cause a connection issue and what you can do about it.
Please read through these steps below carefully to know exactly what you need to do to solve the problem. By following our instructions, we hope that everyone who has been experiencing issues with their machines not being able to connect will now have the solution!
Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
- Why Wouldn’t My Cricut Machine Connect to My Computer?
- How to Connect Cricut to Your Computer via Bluetooth – Step-by-Step Guide
- Fixes for Cricut not Connecting to Your Computer
- FAQs about Cricut Machine
- Conclusion: When Creativity Hits a Snag
Why Wouldn’t My Cricut Machine Connect to My Computer?
It doesn’t matter which Cricut machine you have – Cricut Maker (2 or 3), Explore Air 2, Explore 3, or Joy – the steps are pretty much the same.
As you may know there are two ways to connect your Cricut machine to your laptop or PC: via a USB cable and through Bluetooth.
We’ll tackle Bluetooth connection issues first. Then the USB issues.
How to Connect Cricut to Your Computer via Bluetooth – Step-by-Step Guide
First we’ll take a look at how to connect your machine via Bluetooth.
Make sure Bluetooth on your computer is on. Sometimes, the Windows firewall can block the connection.
The specifications of your computer and the distance of the Cricut machine can also play a role.
If you want to connect your machine via Bluetooth, please go through these steps to be sure you are doing everything correctly.
1. Place your Cricut machine near your computer and make sure you turn it on. (This is one of the top issues for no connection: people forget to turn their machine on)
2. Go to the settings by pressing Windows+X keys on your keyboard.
3. Then go into the device and click on the Bluetooth option.
4. Make sure you toggle the Bluetooth on. Click on ‘Add Bluetooth or other device’. Wait for a few seconds until the computer recognizes the Cricut machine.
5. Select the machine to enter the PIN 0000 and select connect.
6. This will allow uninterrupted connection of the Cricut machine to your computer.
Here is a great video to walk you through this:
Fixing Bluetooth problems | Source: DonnaMiller
Fixes for Cricut not Connecting to Your Computer
Method 1: Connecting via Bluetooth – Check your Windows Firewall
Sometimes, the Windows Firewall can cause issues when connecting your Cricut machine to your computer. You want to make sure Windows Firewall will allow the Cricut Design Space App through.
Here’s what you need to do to solve this issue:
1. Click on the Window search box and type Windows Firewall. Select the ‘Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
2. By opening the Windows Firewall, you will see the Change settings option. Click it.
3. Scroll through all the boxes and tick the Cricut Design Space. Then, select both Private and Public.
4. If you can’t find the Cricut software, click Allow another app. Again, navigate to the installation folder of your Cricut software. Then add the executable file and repeat step 3.
5. Press OK.
Method 2: Connecting via a USB cable – Check the USB Drivers
If you are still facing a problem connecting the Cricut machine through Bluetooth, or if you want to connect your machine via USB, here are the steps.
Also, some Maker tools only work with a USB connection; for example, the engraving tool.
Connect your Cricut machine and your computer with the USB cable and install the essential USB drivers. Sometimes the automatic USB installation fails because of technical glitches. In this case, you need to install the required USB drivers manually. Don’t worry, it’s easier than you think.
Just follow this simple process below.
1. Press Win+X keys on your keyboard and select the Device Manager.
2. Now find the Cricut machine inside the Device Manager and click on the Update driver software.
3. Choose Browse my computer for the driver software.
4. Type %APPDATA% inside the search box and select browse.
5. Inside the window explorer, navigate AppData -> Roaming -> CricutDesignSpace -> Web -> Drivers -> CricutDrivers.
6. Once you select the folder, click Ok and then click Next.
7. Restarting your computer will put changes in effect.
FAQs about Cricut Machine
Do you need a computer to use a Cricut machine?
You don’t need a computer to use your Cricut machine. Besides computers, you can connect Cricut machines to iOS and Android devices. To use Cricut machines on iOS devices and Android, download the Cricut Design Space app.
You can even use Cricut Design Space on an iPad.
Why is my Cricut Maker not connecting to Design Space?
First, make sure that your computer meets the minimum requirements for running Design Space. If it does, try to restart your computer and Cricut as well. Then make sure your Internet speed is fast enough. For Design Space to function normally, the minimum Internet speed should be 2Mbps for download and 3Mbps for upload.
Why does my Cricut take so long to connect to my computer?
If your Cricut takes too long to connect to your computer, then try to reduce multitasking and turn off any unnecessary programs. Unstable internet connection, rendering images, and older computers can be another source of this delay. Rebooting the computer can relieve some of these issues.
Conclusion: When Creativity Hits a Snag
Turn on the Bluetooth or make a connection by using a USB cable. Check Windows Firewall and fix the issues beforehand. If you have an old, slow computer, consider taking a look at these laptops for Cricut.
Apply the process mentioned above to enjoy the smooth connection of your Cricut machine to your computer and craft new designs in no time.
If you still experience issues – like connecting Cricut Expression to a computer – we are happy to help. Try to send a video via YouTube or take a screenshot via Awesome Screenshots and send the link. We’ll try our best to help you.